-- Posts Summary: Airlines and Airports operating and not operating --

CARICOM Airways Legal Issues Resolved

Caribbean Commuter Airways
News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sat Apr 02, 2011

http://www.cbji.com/article.aspx?id=CAR ... solved-679

(Found 02 April, 2011)

Disputes over landing rights for CARICOM Airways have been resolved, according to Attorney General Laurenzo Rudolph Francis and a statement concerning the St. Lucia-registered company will be released by the Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority (ECCAA).

Issues arose when Allen Chastanet, the Tourism Minister, threatened to ground the Vincentian airline operators unless Kingstown officials allowed CARICOM to land there under a reciprocal CARICOM agreement.

ECCAA recently ruled that CARICOM was not operating legally when it ordered the airline company to discontinue operations within the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States.

The Attorney General travelled to Antigua and Barbuda with Chastanet recently to discuss the issue but did not offer agreement details. Francis said the ECCAA was hasty in calling for CARICOM Airways to be grounded.

“We have been able to amicably resolve the matter following our talk...and I am happy to be in a position to help clear up the legal ramifications involved in what is, in fact, a complicated issue,” Francis said.

“The matter with ECCAA was primarily a legal one and the outcome of the talks suggested that the regional body acted prematurely in grounding the carrier as they did not have any legal basis.

“As Attorney General I considered it my duty to assist the Minister of Tourism and Government in general in this matter and I can assure you that it was very successfully resolved,” Francis added.

“We intend giving CARICOM Airways as much support as possible in keeping with our long term goals of making St. Lucia a hub for tourism development and travel within the region, that essentially is our interest,” Francis said.

Return to “Caricom Airways - Suriname”