FRAY FOUND GUILTY

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

FRAY FOUND GUILTY

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Sep 25, 2009

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/htm ... _TRIAL.asp

FRAY FOUND GUILTY
Clinton Pickering
Friday, September 25, 2009

STEPHEN FRAY was yesterday found guilty of eight charges including assualt, illegal possession of firearm, illegal possession of ammunition, shooting with intent and robbery arising from his daring attempt to hijack CanJet Flight 918 earlier this year. The finding by High Court judge Sarah Thompson-James that Fray knew what he was doing during the April 19 escapade dashed every hope that his lawyers had of securing a special verdict that would have lessened his punishment by reason of insanity under Section 25 of the Criminal Justice 25 of the Criminal Justice (Administration) Act.

"... I'm feeling bad... bad enough so I don't even want to talk," said a disappointed George Thomas who along with his son, Martyn, led Fray's defence.

Fray made international headlines on April 19 when he barged past security at the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay and took charge of the Canada-bound chartered flight, holding 159 passengers and the crew hostage.
He released the passengers after about 10 minutes, but held the crew hostage for about four hours. No one was hurt in the ordeal.

Yesterday's verdict, which was delivered shortly before 4:00 pm in camera in the Western Regional Gun Court, is to be followed by sentencing on October 8, after the judge has had the benefit of a social enquiry report.
It was not immediately clear yesterday if the judge's ruling would be appealed.

"I've not reached there; I'm not thinking about that now," said Thomas, adding that he had expected a verdict that would have confirmed that Fray did not know what he was doing on the night in question or, alternatively, that he did not believe that it was illegal.

But yesterday, Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Paula Llewellyn - who said consultant psychiatrist Dr Kevin Goldbourne was among 22 witnesses called by the Crown - praised the verdict. "Mr Fray got a fair trial, he had a robust defence, he called his witnesses. and in the final analysis it was for the judge as the supreme adjudicator of fact and law who had the decision to make on the facts as presented," Llewellyn told the Observer. "We thank the local witnesses and the [three] Canadian witnesses who gave evidence for the prosecution in this matter," she said and commended Deputy DPP Jeremy Taylor, Crown Counsel Nadine Atkinson-Flowers and the law enforcement agents "for the excellent work done in putting this case together".

Members of Fray's family, who left the court house in distress, declined to comment. However, the Reverend Courtney Walters, chaplain for the Area One police division in St James, who was also at the courthouse yesterday, recalled that Fray was "pretty hysterical" on the night in question. Walters was the chief negotiator on board the flight.

"I started to speak to Stephen Fray through the First Officer on the plane. That's how most of the communication was done, but at times I had direct conversations with him," he told reporters ahead of yesterday's verdict. "I didn't get the impression that he was totally with it as far as where his mental faculties were... he said he wanted $8 billion and he kept on promising that when he got to where he was going, which he did not state, quite a large sum of money was awaiting him. He was heard making offers to his hostages that he would set them up when he got to where he was going."

Walters, who stressed that he did not know Fray at the time, asked him what he wanted to be called "and he said he wanted to be called Genius, so that's the name that we used during the dialogue". Walters also recalled, "he clearly felt that he had other persons who were with him and that they were staking out what was happening and in due time they would make their advance and they would take out the infidels that were persecuting him".

On being taken into custody, Walters said, Fray was very agitated. " ...he was threatening every policeman. When he saw me he told me that I would be dying shortly, that one of his emissaries would be coming to get me and he was all over the place," said Walters.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: FRAY FOUND GUILTY

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Sep 25, 2009

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/25/ ... 253891434/

Jamaican would-be skyjacker guilty
Published: Sept. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Sept. 25 (UPI) -- A young Jamaican man who attempted to hijack a Canadian passenger jet from the Montego Bay airport this spring was found guilty of eight charges.

Since the April 19 incident, courts found 21-year-old Stephen Fray to be "mentally challenged," but fit to stand trial, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

In a telephone interview defense lawyer George Thomas in Kingston, Jamaica, told the CBC Fray wasn't aware he was doing anything wrong.

"I was expecting what the law says in a situation like this, that he did not know what he was doing at the time of the incident, he did not believe that it was illegal," Thomas said.

That day, Fray barged through airport security with his father's .38 caliber handgun and boarded the CanJet Airlines plane with 167 passengers and crew aboard, bound for Halifax, Nova Scotia.

He demanded to be taken to the United States and fired one shot into the plane's ceiling. Flight attendants persuaded him to free most of the passengers in exchange for cash and valuables.

After almost nine hours, commandoes stormed the aircraft and arrested Fray. He will be sentenced Oct. 8, the Go-Jamaica.com news site said.

Return to “CanJet - Canada”