-- Posts Summary: Airlines and Airports operating and not operating --

CANJET HIJACKER GETS 83 YEARS, BUT WILL SERVE ONLY 20

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Oct 09, 2009

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/htm ... NLY___.asp

BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
Friday, October 09, 2009

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Twenty-one year-old Stephen Fray, who in April hijacked a planeload of tourists bound for Canada at the Sangster International Airport, was yesterday sentenced to serve 83 years behind bars by Supreme Court Judge Sarah Thompson James in the Western Regional Gun Court.

But Fray will only spend a maximum 20 years in prison as the sentences are to run concurrently. He received three sentences of 20 years, one of 18 years, one of two years and three of one-year each. Two were discharged.

The 18-year sentence was for the first offence of possession of firearm, journalists were told immediately after the sentencing, while the three 20-year sentences were for shooting with intent and robbery.

Two weeks ago, Fray was found guilty of eight of 10 charges brought against him, including illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, shooting with intent, robbery with aggravation, and breaches of the Civil Aviation Act.

He is to return to the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court later this month to answer to other lesser charges, including assault.

Fray made international headlines on April 19 when he barged past security at the Montego Bay airport and took charge of the Canada-bound chartered flight, holding 159 passengers and the crew hostage.

He released the passengers after about 10 minutes, but held the crew hostage for about four hours. No one was hurt in the ordeal.

Yesterday's sentencing was handed down at approximately 2:30 pm.

Soon after, one of his attorneys - George Thomas, who, along with Martyn Thomas led the defence - indicated his intention to appeal the sentencing.

"I think we have enough grounds to satisfy the Court of Appeal," he told journalists following the ruling.
He said he believed that the judge did not take the mental condition of his client into consideration.

"I think she was propelled by the act as opposed to the fact that the man was deluded into doing the act, she has not considered that," the attorney said.

Fray, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, appeared impassive when he was led handcuffed from the courtroom while his family members huddled and wept openly.

Thomas said Fray had no idea what was going on. "He does not know what was happening to him. He is a sick man," said the attorney.

He said he did not expect the length of the sentences handed down yesterday. "I wasn't expecting 20 years," he said. "I was expecting a situation where she (the judge) would have taken into consideration that this was a sick man as spoken (to) by both psychiatrists and she would have looked at this that this man was suffering under some delusion and is still under some delusion and that he needed treatment."

Government consultant psychiatrist Dr Kevin Goulbourne and Dr Wendel Abel, who was hired by the family, had both diagnosed Fray as paranoid schizophrenic but said that he was able to stand trial.

Yesterday, Thomas said the Social Enquiry Report that was ordered by the court painted Fray as a good individual.
"The report emphasised the fact that everyone felt sorry for Fray," he said. "The community felt sorry for him; that they did not expect this action from him and that he was always a well-behaved child. They are asking the court to send him back home."

Yesterday, members of the local and international media, some of whom had arrived at the court from as early as 9:00 am, waited for nearly five hours for the sentencing.

Fray, who was taken from the courtroom twice, was dressed in a green long-sleeved shirt, denim pants and brown loafers. For the most part he walked with his head held down except on one occasion when he looked in the direction of members of his family and smiled at them.

COMMENTS

marcus
10/9/2009 1:14 AM
Fray's sentencing is political, the judge is making an example of him to the world market of tourism and potential visitors. many ppl have committed heinous crimes in jamaica on our own citizens and there were substantial evidence for a conviction but they still walked scotch free , the world was watching to see how we would handle this case against a man who allegedly hijacked a plane of canadian citizens, we couldnot set him free and allow the tourist market to flop, his family should not have hired any attorney to represent him, the case was already decided from the get go. do u remember when a bus carrying tourist was held up in portland the then prime minister patterson was able to retrieve most of the visitors belonging and quickly ordered an investigation.

draco
10/9/2009 2:01 AM
While I do agree that Fray should have been punished, I don't necessarily agree with the sentence as he should have gotten psychiatric help as well as incarceration.

I know that some bloggers are going to disagree with me but I don't think that the justice system was thinking things through when they handed down this verdict as they fail to realize that Fray will end up being worst in prison without treatment.

I believe that the motive for the sentencing was to make an example out of him due to the fact that he hijacked a plane full of foreigners and did not want to lose face with Canada. Had Fray targetted some random Jamaican citizens he would have gotten a more lighter sentence as it is known that many criminals have gotten a slap on the wrist for doing heinious things.

The moral of the story is that whenever the safety of foreigners, the upper class, celebrities and law enforcement itself are threatened that's when the Jamaican system is swift to act and deal out retribution. For ordinary Jamaican citizens that are being victimized even more, they don't give a damn unfortunately.

James McIntosh
10/9/2009 2:02 AM
Only in our 'banana republic' could such 'justice' be dispensed to the watching eyes of the world markets in such a manner.....AND THEY PLAN TO APPEAL THE SENTENCE????????????????????

Well..if he had schozophrenia...wouldn't he have been unsure WHICH PLANE TO HIJACK? THAT EXCUSE SOUNDS LIKE TOTAL BS!!!

Amazing... people with mental illnesses live on our streets and are subject to scorn and ridicule on a daily basis.

llb
10/9/2009 2:52 AM
I don't understand! Why are they sending a mentally ill man to prison??? What kinda stupid Justice System is this... Oh a Jamaican one! I'm sorry, it now makes sense now...

Nicolas Henry
10/9/2009 4:38 AM
This is a total miscarriage of justice. Nothing surprise me anymore with Jamaica's justice system. A mentally ill man sentenced to 83yrs in prison. Jamaica only did that to Fray because we are beggers and we must please the international communty. We don't care for Jamaicans period. Readers Jamaica's government put every measures in place to stop the flow of drugs out from Jamaica but they will do nothing to stop the flow of guns into Jamaica. Reasons we must please the international community. GOD HELP US.

bobbyjones
10/9/2009 5:26 AM
THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN JAMAICA ARE JUST TRYING TO PROVE THAT IT SET AN EXAMPLE, BUT THEY GOT TO REMEMBER THAT THERE IS TIME AND PLACE FOR EVERY THING. I DON'T HAVE TO SEARCH DEEP IN MY SOUL TO SEE THAT MAN NEEDS HELP. IT'S JUST RIDICULOUS.

Mark
10/9/2009 5:30 AM
What help will he get in jail and u have people that kill down in jamaica and don't get a day. I would never visit Jamaica and will tell all my friend never to visit jamaica such a sad day

george watson
10/9/2009 5:56 AM
This is a travesty.

It is quite obvious that this young man is sick. Why would a sane person hijack an airline except for say political purpose. it is quite obvious that he has no political ambiiton. He could certainly not hope to get away with such an act.

I am not saying that he should be released but he should be found criminally insane and get the necessary treatment.
Somehow I feel that the sentence was aimed at satisfying international expectations.
It is stange that people who are found guilty of murdering several of our own people are not sent to prison for 80-odd years.

yea
10/9/2009 6:25 AM
I can't remember a single MURDERER getting 83 yrs in prison. Fray did not take a single life. Wanton injustice!

Shaun
10/9/2009 6:38 AM
He should have been but to death (ELECTRIC CHAIR). There is a problem in Jamaica where people who break the LAW are celebrated, when you break the LAW you should go to prison, 20 years he his getting off easy. So your excuse is that he his "sick". what else is new if he was poor that would no have been an excuse.

See original link for many more Comments...

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: CANJET HIJACKER GETS 83 YEARS, BUT WILL SERVE ONLY 20

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Oct 09, 2009

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0910 ... ijacking_4

Man behind attempted Canjet hijacking to spend 20 years behind bars
Thu Oct 8, 6:53 PM
By Michelle Mcquigge, The Canadian Press--

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica - The man who barged through security at a Jamaican airport and attempted to hijack a Canjet plane bound for Halifax was sentenced to up to 20 years behind bars on Thursday, according to the country's director of public prosecutions.

In a telephone interview with the Canadian Press, Paula Llewellyn outlined the terms of the complex sentence handed down against 21-year-old Stephen Fray in a Montego Bay courtroom.

Fray was convicted on eight out of 10 charges including shooting with intent, robbery and assault. His sentence totals 83 years, which will be served concurrently and add up to 20 years behind bars.

Llewellyn said the presiding judge rejected the defence of insanity offered by Fray's lawyers, but recommended he receive psychiatric treatment while incarcerated.

The sentence will likely come as a blow to Fray's supporters, who organized a petition claiming he suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and lobbied for long-term psychiatric care rather than jail time.

But Brenda Grenier, one of the 167 people on board Canjet Flight 918, said she believes the punishment fits the crime.

"He could have put a lot of people's lives in danger. I know I thought for a moment that we were all goners," she said in a telephone interview from Halifax. ". . . I think it's fair, what he got."

The ordeal for Grenier and her fellow passengers began on April 19 as they waited to depart from the Sangster International Airport. Fray, who was carrying his father's .38-calibre revolver, managed to dodge airport security and board the aircraft where he began brandishing his weapon and demanding to be flown off the island.

He fired a shot into the air during the ensuing six-hour standoff, during which he also held one crew member at gunpoint and doused another with a fire extinguisher. .

Negotiations with the Canjet crew resulted in Fray allowing the 159 passengers and two crew members to leave the aircraft, but only after giving him money and abandoning their valuables on board.

Grenier and her then 15-year-old daughter came face-to-face with Fray, who spoke to the teenager and ordered her to come to him.

"My heart just sunk, I didn't know what to do," Grenier said, adding that a flight attendant eventually diverted Fray's attention away from her daughter.

The standoff eventually came to an end when a covert operation led by a Canadian-trained Jamaican counterterrorism squad managed to capture Fray. The Commandos used the cockpit window to quietly spirit away the co-pilot and replace him with two of their own.

Llewellyn described Fray's case as complex, adding the mental health issues raised during the trial were "novel."

She expressed satisfaction with the trial's outcome and praised the 22 witnesses, including three Canadian Canjet crew members, who came forward to testify.

"We are indeed very appreciative in respect of the courage of the witnesses, both local and also the Canadians," she said.

Llewellyn said Fray's lawyer plans to appeal the sentence. George Thomas could not immediately be reached for comment.

Return to “CanJet - Canada”