Air BVI at St. Thomas

Wild Bill
Unranked
Unranked

Air BVI at St. Thomas

Unread post by Wild Bill » Sat Aug 02, 2014

Just wondered what happened to Air BVI. They had a great looking older gal at their St. Thomas counter. She never gave me a second look. In fact, I don't think I got a first look. This was 1982 to 83. One of our Virgin Air guys did get lucky though. Crap! I wish it had been me. Anyway, I took a ride in their Islander one day....Gee whiz. Talk about a sardine can! Those were the days.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Air BVI at St. Thomas

Unread post by bimjim » Sat Aug 02, 2014

I used to fly for Air BVI, left about 1977. Tim Branson was CP, two Americans were the executives.

The Americans needed to increase the fares because the airline was losing money (this was after they picked up a BAe748 or two) and the government refused. The government also refused to get into (= invest in or support) the airline business.

So after the tipping point was reached the execs quit and left. I think Tim tried to keep it going but eventually it failed and closed down.

Wild Bill
Unranked
Unranked

Re: Air BVI at St. Thomas

Unread post by Wild Bill » Sat Aug 02, 2014

Jim,

Can't remember if I told you or not but I did get in touch with Paul and Margaret Wikander formerly of Virgin Air and Air St. Thomas. A nice email reunion. I bought Margaret's book which explained how the end...ended. Sorry to hear all the sad news about all the old businesses.

Many good memories of the Caribbean of the early 80s. Took 3 guys to handle BVIs work? No wonder it went down. I guess the two 748s assisted with that too. :)

Bill Catalina

Return to “Air BVI - BVI”