[BVI] Premier lauds new airline deal; Miami flight on course

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Web site: hrrp://www.bviairways.com
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Tue Jul 19, 2016

http://bvinews.com/new/premier-smith-n-flights/

07/18/2016

While touting a major deal signed a few days ago between Delta and Seaborne Airlines, Premier Dr D Orlando Smith today gave the assurance that BVI Airways will start direct flights between the British Virgin Islands (BVI) and Miami in the United States in Fall of this year (September to December), as was announced back in January.

At a press briefing today (July 18), he stated that things have been progressing well regarding the BVI Airways flight into which the BVI government is pumping $7 million.

Barring any unanticipated hiccups, the premier added, the Miami flights should start in November.

“Earlier this year, I announced that direct flights from the Virgin Islands to Miami and back will soon be available through the services of BVI Airways.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to announce that we are on track, progressing well and barring any unanticipated hiccups, I expect to see schedule flights – direct flights to and from the United States mainland, between the Terrance B Lettsome International Airport and the Miami International Airport – before Thanksgiving of this year,” Premier Smith told journalists at a hastily convened press briefing today.

Back in January, he stated that the relatively long period was necessary due to the level of preparations needed. “Direct flights between Miami and the BVI will commence in the Fall of this year. The Fall may sound a long way away, but as our partners will explain there is a lot of preparation required to get those planes to fly full to and from Miami,” Premier Smith said in January.

As he did back then, the territory’s leader today claimed that the service will be a game-changer for the territory.

“Direct flights as ‘A Game Changer’ mean that we would no longer be limited by our ability to participate in the global marketplace. Furthermore, direct flights means ease of passenger travels to a major international hub, where direct flights from major metropolitan centres around the world can connect to flights directly to and from the British Virgin Islands,” added the premier.

Seaborne/Delta Deal

Meanwhile, elaborating on the deal signed last week between Delta and Seaborne Airlines, Premier Smith stated that it is an important one for the BVI.

“As I continue to discuss air access, I am pleased to inform you that on Friday, July 15 Delta Airlines and Seaborne announced that they will begin selling their brand on Seaborne at San Juan to and from the British Virgin Islands, effective September 7.”

“This marks the first time in the aviation history of the Caribbean that one airline will operate with the three major brands doing business in the Caribbean. Seaborne will now have code-share agreements with American, Delta, and JetBlue – providing ease of access to the BVI through a powerful distribution and reservations network as well as ticketing and baggage,” added Premier Smith.

He continued: “The British Virgin Islands is an important part of the Seaborne network, and important to their partner airlines. This, coupled with new non-stop service by BVI Airways which is set to launch in the Fall, increases BVI’s visibility in the tourism space and helps with our accessibility challenges. This is indeed welcomed news as we head into season 2016/2017.”

Return to “BVI Airways - British Virgin Islands”