Confession - I am an addict

And when you caress it too much, you end up here!!
islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Confession - I am an addict

Unread post by islandflyer » Tue May 18, 2010

Welcome to the first ever Flight Simulator Addicts Support Group meeting.

My name is Brian, and I am a flight simulator addict.

I started may many years ago with the earlier versions. Back then, it wasn’t so bad. Doing flights was kinda fun, simple. I would load it up, fly, shut down, and that was ok.

Now I don’t really remember much about those early days. As I moved up to the heavier stuff and into FS2004, I worried more and more about file sizes, screen stutter, and realism. I became hooked on add-ons and downloads. I was always on the search for better scenery, better sound sets, better and more realistic experiences. I was obsessed with AI, fixated with moving airport scenery, aircraft dirt masks.

I planned a round-the-world flight series in 2006, as a last ditch effort to cleanse myself of the fire. It ended up being an odyssey: I flew 50 aircraft on 66 legs, for 205:25 hours. Over the entire 87,229 miles we consumed 367.391 gallons of fuel. I had 6 technical faults, 6 delays, 2 cancellations, 4 emergencies, and 2 accidents. (Yes, I keep records). Following that period (and a good talking to from the wife), I cut it out ‘cold turkey’ and deleted everything from my computer. Except…

Right now I’ve reinstalled everything, plus more, and better. I’ve got 83 sceneries from across the world, 88 aircraft … and most of the time I just power it up so I can look around – I barely fly much anymore.

I have a sickness.

My name is Brian, and I am a flight simulator addict.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Confession - I am an addict

Unread post by bimjim » Wed May 19, 2010

You da man!!! And this is a perfect Post for a new Board!!!

Can ANYONE help this poor deluded individual live naturally with FS?

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Wed May 19, 2010

It's too late for me. Alas, I am undone. Tonight I did an 8x flight from Shanghai ZSPD to Macau VMMC, arriving after dark just so I can see the lights of the city. The airport is pitiful, a paltry "B" on my 3 point scale - but I'll keep it, just so I can have my 8 from the Far East. I'm waiting for Incheon, Seoul RKSI to finish downloading, but it's still at 0% after 3 days.

Save yourselves.

Get a life.

(oh, BTW, that 2006 epic? To demonstrate how anal I was, most of the flights were planned using real airlines - flight number, equipment, times and city routing. Sick, huh?)
:D

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Jul 04, 2010

(An update)

I will not say that I'm cured, rather that I'm a recovering addict - one day at a time.

Not that long after the promouncement of my 'illness', The LORD God that I serve (and no, he's not an imaginary man in the clouds) helped me immensely, by allowing a few things to happen in quick succession:
1 - The FS started to run a little slow, with no reason
2- I had begun to delete several liveries and planes that I no longer wanted, but when I restarted FS, it hung up - turned out that I had deleted the livery from a partial flight in my Lago Maddog MD-80, and screwed something up
3 - Reinstalled Lago, but it didn't help
4 - Deleted FS, reinstalled - still hangs up. At the same time my video card started to give up
5 - Replaced the video card with a bigger one, Reinstalled FS on drive D; it works, but stutters like crazy (video driver issue)
6 - Took computer to a friend to help; somehow he screwed up the internet connection, so I can't get new drivers, upload weather,etc.

I'm getting the impression that maybe He doesn't want me to focus on FS the way that I have. For sure it's not in my waking thoughts as much, which is a good thing. Now if only I can cut back on the pastries... :D

Keep praying for me bretheren.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Tue Dec 07, 2010

(Another update)

Here is a free tip to all FS-addicts:

If ever you decide to quit the game and delete the FS files from your computer, please make sure you have deleted them ALL...

I had saved all of the aircraft and scenery add-ons to a seperate file, so now I've reinstalled it all, plus more!

I need Prozack

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Sat Dec 11, 2010

Forget the Prozak......Key question? DOES THE WIFE KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??
SIMEON "KROSWYND/KILO_WHISKEY" RICHARDSON

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Dec 12, 2010

hahahahahahaha...whooo..hahahahaha...*snort*..hahaha whooo hahaha *koff koff* *snort* hahahaha

wha-loss!! Ma belly!!

Return to “FS Addicts Support Group”