Aircraft Dispatcher Course

BimGuy
Unranked
Unranked

Aircraft Dispatcher Course

Unread post by BimGuy » Thu Apr 18, 2013

I don't know if this was the right place to start this thread but here goes. Currently a student at UWI but looking to study something else, Right now i am thinking about taking this (FAA Aircraft Dispatcher) course and was looking for any information that would be beneficial or related to this course.

couple questions i'd like answered
1. How hard will it be finding a job regionally after finishing this course?
2. Any recommendations on schools? (as of right now it seems like Sheffield in FL is the best choice)

feel free to share all information that you think would be beneficial.

:D

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Re: Aircraft Dispatcher Course

Unread post by kroswynd » Fri Apr 19, 2013

BimGuy,

Sheffield in Plantation Gardens, FL is a good school for acquiring your Dispatcher's license. The course (6 weeks) is a rather intense one but is certainly doable. Simply forget that there is an outside world for duration of the course - your life literally consists of eating, class room, studying, sleeping, eating, classroom, studying, and sleeping. You get the gist.

Unless you are already established with an airline within the Caribbean region, your only options at this time would be LIAT and CAL. If you have US residence you can apply to US carriers, which frequently have postings, which Sheffield will make available during your time of training. In some cases (well, they used to), they sometimes will try to place you with a carrier who is in desperate need of aircraft dispatchers.

I attended Sheffield 13 years ago and the cost was approximately $6000.00, which included housing, but not food. The school is within walking distance of the housing development, however within the 1st week of class everyone usually comes together to see who has transport and in most cases they are willing to offer rides to school.

You are required to have already completed, or commence preparing yourself for, the ADX ATP test. the GLIEM ATP book will be your best friend, and Sheffield tries to do a crash course in giving you the pertinent material required to pass the ADX test (all of which they will teach at the beginning of the first two weeks - about 1 - 2 hours). If you do apply to Sheffield, they will send you all of the material need to get you started - and a sheet of the most common non-mathematical questions to be expected on the ADX test, which by the way you must score a minimum of 70.

If you do call the school, try and speak with Eric Morris (owner), or possibly his wife Katja, they will advise you on all that will be required for a successful completion of the course. I would also suggest that you get your ETOPS rating while you are there as well (killing two birds with one stone), an additional 3 days, because this will be required for International flight planning.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Simeon
SIMEON "KROSWYND/KILO_WHISKEY" RICHARDSON

BimGuy
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by BimGuy » Fri Apr 19, 2013

Thanks Kroswynd,

The price you paid is actually around the same thing still incl. housing

you recommend doing all 3 of these or only the ETOPS
Advanced International Flight Planning (AIFP), 2 days
Tuition $500.00 [$750 for non-Sheffield graduates] - check for discounts.

Extended Operations for Twin-Engine Aircraft (ETOPS), 1 day
Tuition $300.00 [$600 for non-Sheffield graduates] - check for discounts.

Enhanced Weather Information Systems (EWINS), 3 days
Tuition $700.00 [$1,000 for non-Sheffield graduates]

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Apr 19, 2013

From my perspective - at the end of my flying career - I would suggest that if you can afford it you do as many as you can at the same time.

The perspective I bring is that when you start working there is no time to go and do courses at your leisure. And life has a habit of getting in the way - wife, kids, sickness, vacations, family, yadda yadda yadda.

Whether you can see any or all of that for yourself down the road from where you are now, believe me it happens so fast and you never knew what hit you. Ask Simeon!!

I have always given young people the advice that they should study hard, get the piece of paper in their hands, then do whatever the heck they want to. Even if you take a year or two off and do something else, that "piece of paper" is worth money and is the ticket to better earnings, better promotions, and a better life - and you should get as much of that advantage up front as you can while you can - especially in these hard times, not every employer is willing to send you for training and pay you at the same time.

From the quotes you showed above, find out of you can do one course, then from that qualify for the Sheffield Graduate discount. It costs nothing to "axe a question", and you could save a bundle (unless you are dirty rich and don't care!!).

Plus, if make yourself more valuable than all others to an employer, you go straight to the top of the "short list" on interview day.

BimGuy
Unranked
Unranked

Thanks BimJim,

i will "axe" lol a question about the discount and see how that goes.

Good thing is right now Sheffield is offering a $800 discount off tuition, and $100 of housing once u print the discount certificate and mail it with the application, so that money i will save can definitely go towards those other courses starting with ETOPS .

My only problem is the risk of not finding a job within a year of finishing studies since i'm am basically taking out a loan to go study and you know how it is with these financial institutions .. but i have to be optimistic. :)

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Apr 19, 2013

Nah worry with the jobs ting so fast... get paper in hand and then take the next step. Family will always help out if they know you are having difficulty and just need a boost - and are not expecting them to foot the whole bill forever.

Step one - find the money and go for training.
Step two - work hard, pass the exams and get the best grades you can.
  • IMPORTANT: UNDERSTAND everything completely. If you do not understand something, ask questions until you do understand it completely. The time to ask questions is when you are working towards the certification, not six months later in an interview. And you will ALWAYS need that complete understanding for your career, if not right away then not far down the road. BE COMPETENT, nobody can ever take that away from you.
Step three - Make your job search your job: Full time, 8 or more hours a day, five or six days a week, until you get the job. And no vacations!!! Keep your priorities in order, and that means Getting The Job is Job One!
Step four - Every day, prove you are the ace you know you are, by doing a professional job 100% of the time.

Always try to be a step ahead of where everybody else thinks you are now. Pilots prepare way ahead of everything as a way of life and - especially on fast aircraft and using turbine engines - are always way ahead of the aircraft.

Stay on the edge, and you will always be a success.

BimGuy
Unranked
Unranked

Thanks to BimJim & Kroswynd,

I will update this topic with my progress as time goes by .

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Tue Apr 30, 2013

BimGuy,

I apologize for my tardy response, I seem to be burning the candle at to many ends. Jim has hit the nail on the head in all of the responses that he has given you. As Jim suggested I too would recommend that if you can afford the additional courses go for it. The good thing is once you complete the Aircraft Dispatchers course you are a Sheffield student so the other courses will/should be at the discounted prices.

In this business it is always advantageous to have the required training as you never know what outfit you may have interest in or vice versa.

If there is anything that I may be of help to you with let me know. You can send me a Private Message here.

OnEdge
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by OnEdge » Sun May 05, 2013

What is the average salary of a dispatcher fresh from training in the US and in the Caribbean?

BimGuy
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by BimGuy » Sun May 05, 2013

OnEdge wrote:What is the average salary of a dispatcher fresh from training in the US and in the Caribbean?

Kroswynd would be the best person to answer this question.

From my research it seems like the average pay scale ranges from $29,047 - $81,289USD , which i guess means students right out of training would be averaging around 29-40K USD

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Tue May 07, 2013

The average starting salary right out of dispatch school (depending on the carrier) is about $25 - $27k for regional outfits. The incremental scale for regionals is rather horrid - topping out at about $55k. The major carriers start out about $34 - $45k, but their increases are rather significant - topping out at about $110k for some.

I am not familiar with the Dispatch operations in the Caribbean.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Training - all careers”