Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Antigua welcomes Governor General’s Cup Air Rally fleet

Unread post by bimjim » Thu Apr 21, 2016

http://antiguaobserver.com/antigua-welc ... lly-fleet/

Antigua welcomes Governor General’s Cup Air Rally fleet
Elesha George
April 21, 2016

Convoy of general aviation aircraft lined up at VC Bird International Airport for the Governor General's Cup Air Rally. (photo credit) Antigua Hotel and Tourist Association (AHTA)

Twenty-three excited Grade 6 students could hardly contain themselves as they were led onto Runway 10, Tuesday, and were treated to a tour of some of the planes that are participating in the Governor General’s Caribbean Air Rally at VC Bird International Airport.

The initiative, sponsored by the Antigua Hotels & Tourist Association (AHTA), allowed the students a rare glimpse into the life of a recreational pilot.

In a statement released yesterday, AHTA General Manager, Neil Forrester remarked: “How often do these children get this close to a small plane? We are giving them that experience. It may very well inspire some of them to become pilots. The pilots are very excited to welcome them into their world.”

And the pilots did not disappoint, as the children were amused by tales of adventure, danger and the inner workings of a small aircraft.

The class trip was not only recreational; their participation formed part of the students’ social studies curriculum.

One student was overheard saying, “I’m going to fly one of these someday. I know I will.”

This was just the excitement that Air Rally Ambassador, Brian Pound said he wanted to inspire in the children they meet, not only in Antigua, but all of the countries they will visiting during the 13-day Caribbean rally.

“The most important thing is it opens their minds to other possibilities and expands their horizons … Seeing kids eyes open wide as they ask interesting questions and learn something about aviation, that is interesting for me,” Pound said.

Pound was the winner of the 2014 rally, and ambassador for this and last year’s event.

Return to “Caribbean General Aviation (GA)”