[TIA2000] Bruce Kaufmann has died at the age of 76

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

[TIA2000] Bruce Kaufmann has died at the age of 76

Unread post by bimjim » Sat Sep 28, 2019

[TIA2000] Bruce Kaufmann has died at the age of 76.
Jim Lynch

In case the name is not familiar, Bruce Kaufmann owned Trans Island Air 2000, based in Barbados, with offices located in the old Barclays/Aero Services hangar on the south side of the GAIA airport.

According to what he told me during my pilot employment interview with him in 2001 (I turned it down because he was so unpleasant), he made his first millions on the west coast of the USA and then moved to the west coast of Canada and made some more millions there. At some point he moved to Barbados and bought charter airline Aero Services, re-naming it TIA2000.

Subsequent to Posting this, in discussion with others I found out he had more than one "life story", and he had told other people he grew up in Montreal. In any case, he also held a US passport, wherever he got that from.

Bruce was not a pleasant person, told me he had severe pain from back issues, and did not have a great reputation in the Caribbean. In fact at one time all of his staff in Barbados walked off the job in protest - I don't know for what, but to get all of your employees so riled up that they walk away en masse it must have been something notable.

It should be noted that he purchased charter airline Carib Aviation in Antigua (formerly owned by Sir Frank Delisle, of LIAT founding fame), which he bankrupted in a short period of time, and in a very short period (it is said with no notice) repossessed two aircraft he had been leasing to charter airline Jamaica Air Shuttle, effectively closing that airline down too. He also had interest in Grenadine Air Alliance (St. Vincent & the Grenadines).

Kaufman's own TIA2000 in Barbados was started up and bankrupted three times.

Jim Lynch

Return to “Trans Island Air 2000 - Barbados”