SIX hours overlay at San Juan Airport

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Web site: See American Airlines http://www.aa.com/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Dec 25, 2009

http://caribbeanislandexperiences.blogs ... rport.html

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I was at the MH airport, Dominica three hours early, hoping to make American Eagle plane on time and arrive at Chicago within six hours. A few things happened - I overslept and slept past 3:00am on Dec 18th. My landlord asked me if she had to wake me up early in the morning (which I call late at night), so that I could be there at airport smoothly. However, I declined thinking that I could pull it off myself. Talk about being independent on the island!! (Note to self, YOU NEED HELP). I tried to stay up til 3am by watching cable on TV. Then dozing of a bit, so I was like, "let me go to sleep for only one hour, wake up at 2am to make myself breakfast and ready for airport"..Guess what? I slept through my alarm and suddenly Alexis Taxi driver called at 3:38am. Shoot! I quickly closed all my luggages, removed my packed lunchbox from the fridge, wore my walking shoes, and placed my extra slippers in my carry-on & OFF I GO. After I locked my apartment, I looked around to see the van. There wasnt anyone out there on the street. Double shoot! I called in the driver and he said he would come by. What? where was he? I did not know how this worked. I was thinking the whole time that the driver picked me up and took me right away to airport (I was feeling guilty for leaving 3am as planned). Oh well, I would go with the flow. A few minutes later, the driver helped me put my luggages in his van and he drove around the Ross University to pick up more students (one was already in the van), this totaled four including me. I found out that students were 2nd semester. They were so smart to leave a day after their finals as there wasnt anything to do on the dreaded island. We were dropped off in front of the RUH and a bus was waiting. We got on there. We could see our luggages place on a pick-up truck (like the way I came to Ross University when I arrived for the first time on Aug 29th). Overall, the service wasnt bad. I was glad I booked my transport to airport with Alexis. 40EC = price. It was well worth it. Some waiting happened to have the bus fill. After one hour drive later, we were at the airport. One long line for LIAT and on right one short line for AMERICAN EAGLE. I did what I was supposed to do: pay airport tax, checked in/passed the security, and waited for 8am plane. Not like LIAT, I was in the waiting room within 30 mins. I got on the airplane, maybe ten minutes late, but overall AMERICAN EAGLE was better than LIAT. When arrived at San Juan, I found out that my next connecting flight was gonna leave in 10 mins, NOT ENOUGH TIME to go through line for US citizens, claim my luggages, check in again, and got on the flight to ORD. Triple shoot! I was left to be stuck in San Juan Airport for 6 hours. Whom was I to tell? No compensation for my trouble by Amerian Airlines? Oh well, what to do? Suck it up and see others going through the similar situation and make yourself feel about it.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Re: SIX hours overlay at San Juan Airport

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Dec 27, 2009

I'm sorry, but this is a stupid post. From the title, it seemed that the AIRLINES had done something wrong, or that the bad WEATHER caused this poor unfortunate to be stuck for 5 hours. But when you actually read the post, it was his own STUPIDITY that created the problem. How can you expect to arrive at a US port from an international destination and collect bags, clear customs, re-check in and clear immigration and security again, all in 10 minutes? Did you not read the flight schedules? Who planned that itiniery for you, Donald Duck?

Oh, I see, you are a student...

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: SIX hours overlay at San Juan Airport

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Dec 27, 2009

As you can see, I add everything... from one end of the spectrum to the other. I think it's educational to read how everybody has flaws - even fare-paying passengers!! As you said, they are a student - but they are already into the whine part of their education, both entitled and expectant that everyone else will stand aside and give them exactly what they want - for the same or a lower price, of course. I'm just happy they took (and are abusing) AA and not LIAT!!

It's still incredible to me how many people whine about things that are their own fault...

I remember the days when, if you wanted a bus, you discovered the half-hour schedule and stood out there waiting from 5 to 10 minutes before... the buses ran nearly full and efficiently, and fares were kept down. Now with the Pols kissing derriere all over the place they all are accustomed to stepping out onto the sidewalk any time of day and REQUIRING that a bus actually be in sight on the road. Of course that means a requirement for 5 times as many buses (and drivers) to achieve that - and at 30% loads - then they complain about the higher fares. You can't have it both ways

And I remember the days when all sales were final... you go, you buy, you take it home, game over. Nowadays we all pay higher expenses for virtually everything because of people for instance, who go buy a vacuum cleaner, take it home, unwrap, set up, clean their entire home, dump the crap (sometimes!!!), then take it back for as refund.

Where do all the "refurbished" items come from? You guessed it...a purchase returned after a single or multiple uses. It's killing everybody - except the ones who are abusing the system and don't care.

Return to “American Eagle / Executive Airlines- Puerto Rico”