BWIA flight lands safely at JFK following security scare

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Airlines
Web site: http://www.caribbean-airlines.com/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Thu Apr 26, 2018

http://www.looptt.com/content/bwia-flig ... rity-scare

Laura Dowrich-Phillips
26 April 2018

Caribbean Airlines said a flight from Piarco International Airport to John F Kennedy International Airport landed without incident following a security alert.

In a statement, CAL said that on Wednesday, April 25, a call was received by its Security Department regarding a nonspecific threat to flight BW 550.

"In keeping with the airline’s security protocols and industry practice, all relevant airport and national security agencies were advised and thorough checks were carried out at the airport and on the aircraft. The flight departed Piarco International Airport at 7.23 p.m. and arrived into John F Kennedy, International Airport without incident," CAL said.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: BWIA flight lands safely at JFK following security scare

Unread post by bimjim » Thu Apr 26, 2018

"BWIA", huh, Laura? And in the headline!! Do you call yourself a journalist? Or are you getting into the "fake news" mode so popular in the US now? If you do claim to be a journalist, does accuracy mean anything to you, Laura? Do a little research and try to figure out when last your national airline called itself BWIA, please.

bajfly
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by bajfly » Fri Apr 27, 2018

Is not the flight number still BW? Meaning old BWIA?

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Apr 27, 2018

Caribbean Airlines still uses BW in the flight number, and the pilots still use "West Indian" as identification on radio calls, but the name of the airline is officially - and permanently - Caribbean Airlines, not BWIA.

In the vernacular ("dung de road"), the public may still call it "BeeWee" (or any of a flood of other names) but a journalist with any pride in their work whatsoever should know the airline's proper name - and use it in their articles. This is not a personal conversation with a friend, and even "CAL" would have been acceptable.

But she called it "BWIA"... the airline stopped using that name in or before 2010, eight years ago. Just as we fully expect someone with a Journalism Degree to produce correct English spelling and grammar, it is reasonable for anyone to expect that a journalist writing daily articles should "keep up", and know that the name of her national airline has changed.

JoeGons
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by JoeGons » Sat May 05, 2018

??? The Link led to this: "CAL flight lands safely at JFK following security scare".
In any event, referring CAL as BWIA would be just calling a spade a spade.
The Industrial Court agrees that CAL is the same Company/entity. (11 years in Court)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If we could do it alone, we would not need each other.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sat May 05, 2018

Somebody backtracking, Joe... I copied it as I saw it, and it was headlined BWIA or I would have had no argument. Maybe the courts will require the gubmint to change the name back - and maybe Air Jamaica will rise again out of 16% - but as we both know both of those are highly unlikely assumptions.

JoeGons
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by JoeGons » Sat May 05, 2018

Truth is, as you so often point out (with some degree of venom), the Politicians, who have no clue about the Aviation Business, make decisions about appointments of Senior Management.
The current Minister in T&T can’t run his own “Business” and is making decisions about CAL.
As you must know, an Airline with the “Route Structure” of CAL, will NEVER work.
Having said that, it seems that CAL has managed to significantly bring “Utilization” numbers for the fleet to a more acceptable level.
This only adds to the mystery as to why we see unacceptable losses.
The ultimate objective has to bring losses down to an acceptable level.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sun May 06, 2018

As you so rightly pointed out, Joe, I speak the truth about the Politicians and appointments of incompetent Senior Management of EVERY sad, bleeding, government-owned airline, INCLUDING LIAT, BahamasAir, Cayman Airways and all the others.

If you (and others) see my comments about CAL as "a degree of venom", then so be it. Nobody but Trinidadians comment about my criticisms - of ANY airline. I have even been told by Private Message that I apparently "hate Trinidadians" - and if speaking out about and criticising corruption, incompetence, inefficiency, patronage, theft of taxpayers money, stupidity and disregard for safety is "hate" then I am 100% guilty as charged.

But if not me, then who else? I don't hear or see any other voices raised against all this nasty "stuff" so many of us have to deal with on a daily basis.

I don't say anything about it in circulars, Posts or "broadcasts", but EVERY registered user on this Forum has ALWAYS the opportunity to register with and/or change their username to something totally anonymous and themselves blast away at the inequities and wrongs imposed on our intra-regional transportation bodies. But nobody does.

Certainly I am out of reach of the corrupt tin hat politicians who might ask for (or demand) user identities, so there is no danger of users being exposed for their opinions. So - fat, dumb and happy - they roll on reading and shaking their heads as they accept the sheer garbage the politicians dream up to fatten their own wallets and increase their personal power bases, all at taxpayer expense.

Thanks for your contributions, by the way. I hope you continue to keep up the good work for your people in the face of such needless opposition.

JoeGons
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by JoeGons » Sun May 06, 2018

Sad to say that no matter which Political Party is in power, they all toe the line and continue the hypocrisy.
When in “opposition” they identify all sorts of things to fix but when achieving power, seldom act on anything.

Return to “Caribbean Airlines - Trinidad & Tobago”