[Turks & Caicos] Six new jets for interCaribbean

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Web site: http://www.intercaribbean.com/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Sep 03, 2018

http://suntci.com/six-new-jets-for-inte ... 82-129.htm

Hayden Boyce & Todeline Defralien
Fri, Aug 31, 2018

InterCaribbean Airways has upgraded its fleet with six 50-seater jets worth "several million dollars", in a move that the airline's owner and chief executive officer Lyndon Gardiner described as a "game changer" for the local and regional aviation industry.

The sleek, leather-seated Embraer ERJ jets, two of which are already in the Turks and Caicos Islands, are currently being certified by the local Civil Aviation Department and will be in operation shortly. The other four jets will be here by the fall of next year.

“I think that the way it changes the game is, first of all, we now have the ability to go further and faster, so we’re looking to add some new city pairs with Turks and Caicos and we’re looking to add some city pairs with some of the other destinations that we operate to. Quite frankly because of the speed of the airplane, we also have the ability to pack more flights into the day and that is certainly a positive side of changing the game," Gardiner told The SUN in an exclusive interview.

The jets will shave about reduce the flying time to Nassau, The Bahamas and to Jamaica by approximately 30 minutes. The new aircraft makes InterCaribbean Airways the first Turks and Caicos Islands airline to own and operate jets and the largest intra-Caribbean airline, serving 23 cities in 13 Caribbean countries.

interCaribbean operates flights in Antigua, the British Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica, the Bahamas, the US Virgin Islands, Dominica and St. Maarten/St. Martin. Domestic flights are provided in Jamaica between Kingston and Montego Bay, as well as flights within the Turks & Caicos Islands.

Gardiner, who is also a trained pilot, said the new jets will operate primarily on the longer routes such as Nassau, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, British Virgin Islands (BVI), Antigua and Cuba.

"It is not feasible to have these jets travel locally, but I think that if we have special occasions when we need additional capacity we would love to do that, but to have an ordinary schedule flight (with the jets), it’s just not likely,” added Gardiner, who is also a private jet-owner.

He said they first started looking at these Brazilian airplanes a couple of years ago because it was a natural progression of an aircraft type.

"InterCaribbean focus is actually on connecting the entire Caribbean, so we needed first of all to get some core routes done from Turks and Caicos. Presently we’re doing quite a bit of connecting traffic through Providenciales to other destinations that we fly to. We are up from 30 seats and now we are in the 50 seat market,” he said.

According to Mr. Gardiner, the longest route planned for this airplane now would be Havana to the North and George Town Guyana to the South. The airplane typical cruise is about 450 knots, obviously we could do a little more than that depending on the winds and the server sealing is 37,000.”

He said Embraer designed this type of airplane for shorter point-to-point flights, adding that the jet has been quite successful in meeting the mission profile that it was designed for. “With the jets we have eight (8) EMB120’s that are operating and we have four (4) twin Otter (that is the 19 seat airplane) and we have two jets and also have more airplanes that we signed up for. In addition to that we have three more EMB120’s that will be added to fleet over the next couple of months.”

When asked by The SUN how he feels about having pilots with such great strides in the industry, Gardiners said that InterCaribbean seeks to participate and give back into the communities that they serve.

He added: “Our first crack is obviously to hire people from those communities. With respect of Turks and Caicos I think that our company has provided opportunities for Turks Island pilots beyond what was ever available in this country. Looking at flying a large transport turbo prop and now a transport category jet, it gives them a wider experience and it makes them more marketable on an international scale. I am very proud to be able to offer those opportunities as an islander myself, because I think that it demonstrates to us and to the outside world that little Turks and Caicos can punch above our weight and we also can have people with the same skill set that anywhere else have in the developing world.”

InterCaribbean destinations the company employs just over 300 people throughout the Caribbean.

InterCaribbean Airways Ltd. was founded as InterIsland Airways Charter Services in 1991. In 2003 the Turks and Caicos Government started a push toward regional and international development and it seemed the time had come for the Turks and Caicos to have its own airline.

A scheduled license was applied for and granted, and thus began an ambitious expansion project that involved adding international destinations and acquiring larger and faster aircraft. The company re-branded to become Air Turks & Caicos to serve key international destinations, with daily scheduled flights to cities in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Bahamas and Puerto Rico.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: [Turks & Caicos] Six new jets for interCaribbean

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Sep 03, 2018

Man tell me Gardiner has established an AOC in the Dominican Republic and the EMB145 jets will be based there. So I wonder how many TCI Islanders will get to fly them.

Big publicity about a first for the TCI, but it seems there is more going on behind the scenes than Lyndon Gardiner really wants people to know about.

Return to “InterCaribbean Airways - Turks & Caicos”