resycled\boot.com virus...

For REAL alerts which are urgent... please investigate for Spoofs and Hoaxes before posting here...
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

resycled\boot.com virus...

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Dec 21, 2008

resycled\boot.com virus... (yes, "resycled" is the correct spelling).

One of the virusus I picked up somewhere infected only my external drives... it gives an error when you try to double-click open a hard drive from My Computer which says that "resycled\boot.com" is not available.

Cure:

1. Go through every drive that is NOT the boot drive and REMOVE both the autorun.inf file and the "resycled" folder (note the ... Read moreincorrect spelling). Only the boot drive uses that file autorun.inf (sometimes).

/// DO NOT REMOVE THE AUTORUN.INF FILE ON YOUR C: DRIVE ///

2. Now use the Start Menu, click on Run, type in "regedit" (without quotes), hit Enter to start the Registry Editor. Hit Ctrl-F, enter "boot.com" (without the quotes), hit Enter to start looking. Each time it shows you a Registry entry, hit the Delete key, click on Yes, and then hit F3 to keep on looking.

When you get to the Registry Folders, stop deleting - only delete files on the right side of the vertical bar. When you re-boot you should have got rid of all of it.

Return to “Computer Alerts”