Govt. will not intervene with Sky Bahamas

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Web site: http://www.skybahamas.net/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Jul 31, 2019

https://ewnews.com/govt-will-not-interv ... ky-bahamas

Airline remains grounded following safety inspection
July 31, 2019

The government has no plan to intervene with Sky Bahamas and the airline remains grounded for more than two weeks following the Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority (BCAA) orders for it to remain grounded since its permit expired and was not renewed.

Speaking to the media outside the Churchill Building, Minister of Tourism and Aviation Dionisio D’Aguilar said, “I believe, although I have not confirmed that he has had discussions with the regulator,” said D’Aguilar said out the Churchill Building.

“I want to be very clear. No minister of aviation with any sense is going to intervene on a safety issue.

“If Sky Bahamas has a matter before the Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority, it is up to him to figure out how to get the necessary approvals in order to obtain his air operating certificate.

“I certainly don’t have the technical expertise to intervene on his behalf. This is something he has to work out with the regulator.
“As I am sure you are aware, the aviation sector is highly — a lot of technical standards, and a lot of technical rules that the regulator knows and the operating airline knows and he needs to sit with the regulator and work out what differences he has in order to bring ease and calm to the matter and to put the regulator at bay that he has fulfilled all the requirements that he is required to do.”

Sky Bahamas Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Captain Randy Butler has claimed that his airline’s permits were not renewed in an intentional attempt to sabotage the company for personal and political reasons. Butler claimed that inspection was conducted by a former shareholder of the company. He called on the government to intervene,

The Civil Aviation Authority ordered the discontinuation of commercial passenger services as a result a recent safety inspection. Sky Bahamas’ air operator certificate (AOC) expired on June 29.

The airline has unable to facilitate passenger bookings. Its more than 60 employees remain home without pay. BCAA Director General Captain Charles Benebyhas insisted there is no agenda afoot. “This has nothing to do with politics and has nothing to do with victimization,” he said. “The authority has an obligation and responsibility to protect the traveling public and this is a part of our mandate, and we take that very seriously.”

This week, Butler said his company has lost millions of dollars.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Butler: SkyBahamas has lost millions due to grounding

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Jul 31, 2019

https://thenassauguardian.com/2019/07/3 ... grounding/

Butler: SkyBahamas has lost millions due to grounding
Sloan Smith
July 31, 2019

SkyBahamas Chief Executive Officer Captain Randy Butler said yesterday that the airline has lost millions of dollars in fixed costs and expected revenue and has also taken a major hit to its reputation since its planes have been grounded over the past five weeks due to the lack of its air operation certificate (AOC).

According to Butler, several safety concerns were raised on May 27 regarding his operation. He insisted, however, that despite addressing these issues, he was told on July 8 that he had to stop all flights.

Butler said even after several meetings with The Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority, including one last Friday, his company has still been unable to get its AOC. “We have not received the renewal of our AOC, which is required to fly, and because that has not been renewed on this side, the U.S. has suspended our aspects until The Bahamas renews it,” Butler said. “So, it’s not only here, it’s the responsibility we have in the U.S. when we are doing on-demand charter and stuff that we still have offices that we have to pay for.”

He continued, “If you all year long are doing inspections and risk analysis in preparation for the renewal, when you get there and that time comes, you should stamp and get signed because you can show during the year, if there is any issue, you worked it out, you got it going.”

The airline has two planes and a staff complement of 63 people. “We have to work for what we eat,” Butler said. “The passengers that we [have] inconvenienced in this whole thing… I apologize to y’all.”

The SkyBahamas CEO has called on the government once again to intervene, concluding that the matter appears to be political and personal.

However, Tourism and Aviation Minister Dionisio D’Aguilar said yesterday that he will not get involved. D’Aguilar insisted that it’s not his place to step in and involve himself in safety issues. “I want to be very clear, no minister of aviation with any sense is going to intervene on a safety issue,” D’Aguilar told reporters outside Cabinet.

“If SkyBahamas has a matter before The Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority, it’s up to him to figure out how to get the necessary approvals in order to obtain his air operating certificate. I don’t have the technical expertise to intervene on his behalf. This is something that he has to work out with the regulator.”

Despite the many challenges and the critical position the company is currently in, Butler said he will not allow the airline to close down. He said he is currently in talks with someone willing to aid him with either an investment or a loan. However, that avenue remains up in the air.

Return to “SkyBahamas Airlines”